Golf in the Garden Route – an update (Maria Rein from Switzerland)
APRIL 2015: I came back after one year, and the Fairview Homestead is my home in George. Thanks to the outstanding hospitality. Philda and Desmond always give me the feeling to be (a little bit) part of the family.
Here are some update and more links you might find useful if you are a passionate golfer
- The “Best of Golf” guys have moved their business quite recently to the Cape Town area, no location at the Garden Route any more.
- In March 2015 I had the opportunity to join a golf tournament: The 6th annual ultimate garden route road trip 2015: 9 renowned courses in 7 days along the Garden Route. If you want to play with South African guys from all around the country, you have to join this tournament. It is very well organized, the guys are very passionate and committed golfers, but most overall they simply enjoy this week full of golf, having a lot of fun.
This tournament is organized by Mariska Nortje (http://www.golfinthegardenroute.com); she will as well book you any golf package you want to have. Just send her my regards.
- You have some time to improve your golf swing? Or you want some input for your bunker play? Talk to Adam McKinley, HeadPro at the Fancourt Ressort. I liked the practice facilities, and I could use as many balls as I wanted. I booked my lessons with Adam already some weeks before I went to SA – which was a good idea. They guys there were quite busy … I just contacted Adam via email email@example.com, a 60 min coaching session costs around 500 Rand.
- And another golf shop: Have a look at Scratch Golf on Thesen Island in Knysa, http://www.scratchgolf.co.za/
it is worthwile.
I will go back next year to George, and play again all these fantastic courses, and meet all these great people again.
See you then
MAY 2014: George is a great place to stay if you want to golf in the Garden Route. The distances between Mosselbay and Knysna allow even early t-times (and Philda and her staff will serve breakfast at 7 am if wanted). I will not add any remarks and comments on the golf courses as such - I found all courses amazing, in very good conditions and I always met great people, but some small hints which might be helpful.
- If you need equipment I would recommend the “The Golfers Club”, 43 York Street, George. Good selection of clubs and whatever tools and gadgets you might need.
- Garden Route mall has a small shop with a very fashionable selection of golf clothes – as far as I remember it is called “Best of Golf”, if you are in the mall – have a look. It pays off.
- I have made very good experiences with the Garden Route Golf Passport, all t-time were booked, the feedback from the office was fast and complete.
- If you have some more time you might consider to join a South African golf club. The entrance fees are low (compared to Europe) and it gives you significant cheaper green fees. I have seen that the Golf Club Strand in Somerset West offers even memberships for swallows, I did not investigate the offers available in George, I will do that next time.
- To prepare yourself emotionally I highly recommend the App for I pad “Golf Digest South Africa – Top 100 courses” great photos, and some background information. I assume it might be as well available for Android tablets.
For all, enjoy the courses and have a lot of pars, birdies and eagles…