Golf in the Garden Route (by Maria Rein from Switzerland)
George is a great place to stay if you want to golf in the Garden Route. The distances between Mosselbay and Knysna allow even early t-times (and Philda and her staff will serve breakfast at 7 am if wanted). I will not add any remarks and comments on the golf courses as such - I found all courses amazing, in very good conditions and I always met great people, but some small hints which might be helpful.
- If you need equipment I would recommend the “The Golfers Club”, 43 York Street, George. Good selection of clubs and whatever tools and gadgets you might need.
- Garden Route mall has a small shop with a very fashionable selection of golf clothes – as far as I remember it is called “Best of Golf”, if you are in the mall – have a look. It pays off.
- I have made very good experiences with the Garden Route Golf Passport, all t-time were booked, the feedback from the office was fast and complete.
- If you have some more time you might consider to join a South African golf club. The entrance fees are low (compared to Europe) and it gives you significant cheaper green fees. I have seen that the Golf Club Strand in Somerset West offers even memberships for swallows, I did not investigate the offers available in George, I will do that next time.
- To prepare yourself emotionally I highly recommend the App for I pad “Golf Digest South Africa – Top 100 courses” great photos, and some background information. I assume it might be as well available for Android tablets.
For all, enjoy the courses and have a lot of pars, birdies and eagles…