* We are happy to prepare dinner for you. Unpretentious, typical South African food and prepared from home-grown and/or locally sourced products. Served as tray-dinner to be enjoyed in your room or served in the dining room.
* We could also reserve a table for you at one of our favourite restaurants, all within 3km from us.
* no smoking inside, but we have a covered porch for smokers
* Regret no pets allowed
Our Guests at Word:
* 'I loved the attention to detail'
* 'nie totsiens, maar tot weersiens'
* 'wonderful home, beautiful garden, comfiest beds; will be back'
* 'excellent breakfast, great hospitality, beautiful gardens'
* beautiful house with so much character and such a beautiful garden.'
* my home away from home once again - great service. thanks'
Outeniqua Mountain trail walks
Eltan Olivier offers guided trail walks through forests, plantations and fynbos. Half day hikes 5 to 15km @ R320- per person. Full day hikes 20 to 35km @ R550- per person. We will gladly book and/or advise you about the hikes available.
We'd love to have you stay. Enter your preferred travel dates to check availability, the rates and to make a reservation.
We bought Fairview in 1994. The restoration and upkeep has been an ongoing labour of love. We are so thankful that the grounds remained large enough to allow the house a garden it deserves too.
It was wonderful to have our children grow up in a home with such a sense of history – we very much feel ourselves custodians of Fairview. (I often joke that I have to go away on holiday to come back and stand in awe of our beautiful listed house.) Our website is 'blog integrated' and two of our children regularly contribute. In the blog category 'My B&B Life' I share the stories of a house and garden, lovingly restored and shared with our guests…
The grounds on which Fairview stands was first registered in 1861 in the names of Messrs. Swemmer and Meyer, directors of the first bank in George. When these two gentlemen found themselves in financial difficulty in 1894, they sold the farm to Koos Stander - mayor of George from from 1926 to 1932. In those days it was a big apple and cattle farm on the outskirts of George. By 1936 the farm still supported a substantial apple orchard, but was already surrounded by a number of subdivided smallholdings. Today the fully restored historic homestead is a Guest House, centrally situated in Bergsig on grounds measuring 3800m².